As I’ve said before I go to a about a concert a week and most of the time I’m up front! Now it takes a lot of huevos rancheros to stand up there the whole time! So here are some hints:
- get there early! I found that there are some many great opening bands! I fell in love with Like a Storm (http://www.likeastorm.com)and Lady Danville (http://ladydanville.wordpress.com/) and so many more because I get there early enough to hear the openers. Also, please clap for them and give them some energy. Nothing looks worse (well almost nothing) than creepily staring at them with no emotion at all. This is to you creepy guy at the Toadies (http://thetoadies.com) concert at Josabi’s (www.josabis.com)…I’m talking to you!
- wear comfy shoes! Most of the time I wear my Toms (http://www.toms.com)and they work well for me. Mostly, because I don’t have to worry about dirty feet if we’re outside or getting beer on my feet. I have worn sandals before, but it’s to a venue I know and that I haven’t had any issues with kicking bottles or being stepped on (yet another benny of getting their early) I have stood for more than 8 hours in my shoes before, so I’m serious about making sure they’re comfy. The only time I will wear heels is if I know I’ll be sitting down. Like at the Chris Cornell (http://www.chriscornell.com/) show at theParamount (http://www.austintheatre.org)
- If you’re going to an outside especially in the summer (or an un-air conditioned space like GrueneDance Hall) make sure you drink plenty of fluids, and I am talking water here. There have been times where I have been so dehydrated despite my drinking tons of water that I almost feel over (thank goodness for walls!) make sure you drink plenty of water before /during the show.
- now, there’s a code of regular concert goers…if you leave the space, you leave the space! If you want to be upfront, get there early! I’m so not moving for you no matter what your story is! So back off!
- don’t wear anything you can’t wash beer out of! Some of the shows get crazy! They go flying through the air and hit where ever. Sometimes they even come from the band. I would also suggest something light and breathable. I have seen some funky things there…please check yourself in a full length mirror or you might be mocked J muffin top is wronged!
- make sure you wear your hair (ladies) in a way that can stand up to the moisture and heat. There are very few times I spend a ton of time styling because it’s a waste! In about two seconds it’s poofy.
- make sure your make up can stand up to the heat too! This can go for the men as well. I’ve seen some interesting things
- please, please please do not take huge bags! I really dislike being hit in the side and back by women who have brought luggage with them! Completely unnecessary! What are you taking? A book!? A radio?? A small child?
- and one of my biggest pet peeves….if you take your child…PLEASE TAKE HEARING PROTECTION FOR THEM! Their little ears are still developing! Give them a fighting chance to hear when they’re my age!
- also, if you drink and take your child, please have someone to take care of you! Don’t ever drink and drive! You just had a blast at the show! Stay alive to share the story! (soap box away)
- know what you can take in the pit! There have been times where I have been super scared by the pit and picked up where I thought I might be dropped and crushed. If you have a problem get out as quickly as you can so you don’t get hurt…however, a lot of times the madness is over as quickly as it started. Just get a feel for the group. There have been shows where we hung in the back because we knew the crowd was going to eat me alive! I missed being upfront but was really glad not to be black and blue at the end.
- after the show a few really special bands will come out and sign autographs after. They are some of my fav bands! They really love the audience and their fans. I have more pictures with my favorite arts! I have them set up on a digital frame and laugh each time I see them. Love the ones I have with Lewis from 10 Years (http://www.10yearsmusic.com) ! One of these days I’ll take a decent pic with Bob Schneider (http://bobschneider.com/) . He’s just so pretty I look dumpy!
- lastly…ENJOY YOURSELF! Give those funky guys in jeggings a chance, you never know, they might be your favorite new band!
Well, that’s all the advice I can think of for now. I’m sure there is more, but I’m sleepy and ready for bed! Dude, it’s still light outside, so not rock’n roll!
See ya next time and live the unexpected life!